Recently, I sat through one of the worst acceptance speeches I have ever heard.The saga began when the award recipient walked out of her shoes on the way up the stairs to the dais, and, had to go back to retrieve them. She then proceeded to thank everyone she had ever met with the choking gratitude Anne Frank’s family might have felt for their sanctuary hosts. She also fervently avowed a donation of her work for almost every one of them — and waited for the increasingly less enthusiastic applause for each. Naturally, this meant she went considerably over time, and, while the Emcee kept glancing at his watch, she kept us all awake with frequent bursts of shrill nervous laughter. Needless to say, no one rushed up to tell her what a great speech she had made.From Bad to GreatThis less than enjoyable event got me thinking. What could I have told this speaker, and, what can I tell our readers, to make receiving an award a positively memorable event for both the receiver and his or her listeners? In other words, “what should you say, and, how should you say it”.What should you sayFortunately, the list of what… Read full this story
- Kevin Spacey scandal: TV academy withdraws award, 'House of Cards' ending
- St. Francis Prep's O'Connor accepts award, then hits the gridiron
- President Barack Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize; Will accept award as 'call to action'
- COWBOY JUNKIES. Looks like the Academy can't get enough of 'Brokeback Mountain'
- London Public Library to offer instrument rentals thanks to ‘Juno Awards’
- Michael Douglas continues brave fight against cancer as Danny DeVito accepts award on his behalf
- 'Ugly Betty' guest star Lindsay Lohan says 'no thanks' to Emmy Awards
- Woman says she doesn't hire someone who doesn't send thank you email
- Every Froufy Gown and Cursed Image From the 90th Annual Academy Awards Red Carpet
- Miranda Lambert talks ‘broken heart’ at ACM Awards
"And, I Would Like To Thank The Academy" - Accepting Awards With Flair & Grace have 326 words, post on ezinearticles.com at February 29, 2008. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.