Did you know?France is the birthplace of Pierre de Coubertin, who is the father of the Olympic Movement. This Frenchman was born on January 1, 1863 in Paris. Pierre once said, “The Olympic Movement gives the world an ideal which reckons with the reality of life, and includes a possibility to guide this reality toward the great Olympic idea”.The Summer Olympic Games were held in Paris in 1900. For the first time, sportswomen were allowed to compete in the Olympics ( six tennis players ). France won first place in the Games with 26 gold, 41 silver and 34 bronze medals.Marie-José Pérec was one of France’s greatest sportswomen. She was born in Guadeloupe ( Caribbean island ) and moved to France with her mother when she was sixteen. Marie-Jose became the second female athlete in the history of the Olympic Games to sweep the 200m and 400m ( Atlanta’96 ).Like Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guiana and Reunion, New Caledonia -French territory in Oceania- is not member of the International Olympic Committee ( IOC ). Why? France does not allow its territories to compete in the Olympics. For this reason, New Caledonia’s athletes can not compete in the Olympic Games. Unlike Guam… Read full this story
- From Left Bank to left behind: where have the great French thinkers gone?
- England storm to victory! Owen Farrell's men make it to first Rugby World Cup final since 2007 after defeating reigning champs New Zealand 19-7 in Japan – as delirious fans say they knew team would win after 'smirking' captain stared down the Haka
- A Skywalker will rise and awards contenders will compete this December at the movies
- Brits' favourite travel companies announced at British Travel Awards 2019
- How the changing media is changing terrorism
Interesting Facts About Olympic Nations - France have 289 words, post on ezinearticles.com at May 3, 2008. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.