We had heard stories about the comforts of rail travel in Thailand, so we decided to give it a try when traveling from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. The alternatives on this long overnight journey were a private cabin in the first class or “behind the curtains” in a second class compartment. We chose the cheaper-second class.We boarded the train and found our compartment. Sitting down face to face on the upholstered seats we wondered how they could be transformed into beds. Because the air-conditioning made the place freezing cold, we put on trousers and long-sleeved shirts right away.While the train was still at the station, a guy came to serve us refreshments – so far so good! After the departure, train personnel appeared in the corridors; men in their uniform caps were checking the tickets and taking care of security and “things” and the cleaners with their brushes came at regular intervals. Service in the compartment was excellent: meals, coffee, refreshments, beer etc. were on sale. There was also a restaurant car. We went to have a look but did not stay in the hot, smoky car – there was no air-conditioning.Around eight o’clock the car attendant came to make… Read full this story
- US CDC launches South-East Asia regional office in Hanoi
- 2 decades after 9/11: Was Southeast Asia's support of the US war on terror worth it?
- N. Korea Returns to 'Old Playbook' of Confrontation, Dialogue
- Analysis: What Does Fall of Kabul Mean for North Korea?
- Experts: N. Korea May Be Pushing Biden for Nuclear Deal Trump Rejected
- US CDC Southeast Asia Regional Office opens in Hanoi
- As Locusts Swarmed East Africa, This Tech Helped Squash Them
- Explained: As Afghanistan falls to Taliban, what does it mean for Middle East?
- The danger signal from the Muzaffarnagar riots
- What day is it again? Lines between work, home and leisure blur under the circuit breaker
Experiences of South-East Asia Trains have 314 words, post on ezinearticles.com at June 9, 2009. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.