Copenhagen was a disaster. That much is agreed. But the truth about what actually happened is in danger of being lost amid the spin and inevitable mutual recriminations. The truth is this: China wrecked the talks, intentionally humiliated Barack Obama, and insisted on an awful “deal” so western leaders would walk away carrying the blame. How do I know this? Because I was in the room and saw it happen. China’s strategy was simple: block the open negotiations for two weeks, and then ensure that the closed-door deal made it look as if the west had failed the world’s poor once again. And sure enough, the aid agencies, civil society movements and environmental groups all took the bait. The failure was “the inevitable result of rich countries refusing adequately and fairly to shoulder their overwhelming responsibility”, said Christian Aid. “Rich countries have bullied developing nations,” fumed Friends of the Earth International. All very predictable, but the complete opposite of the truth. Even George Monbiot, writing in yesterday’s Guardian, made the mistake of singly blaming Obama. But I saw Obama fighting desperately to salvage a deal, and the Chinese delegate saying “no”, over and over again. Monbiot even approvingly quoted the… Read full this story
- Despite China Appeasement, NBA Says Free Speech Remains Vital
- WATCH: President Trump Blasts NBA for ‘Pandering’ to China
- Good call, Trump: It’s time America recognized Taiwan as a sovereign nation (and rejected the bullying of communist China)
- Turnbull's Celtic deal up in the air after agent wage snub
- Bale to stay at Real after China move falls through
- GhostNet: Why it's a big deal
- China's Appetite for Spam Is Wrecking U.S. Waterways
- Will The NSA Hack Wreck Apple Hopes In China?
- Wrecked on the Highway
- License to Deal
How do I know China wrecked the Copenhagen deal? I was in the room have 290 words, post on www.theguardian.com at December 22, 2009. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.