(Eds: This is an ABRIDGED version. Also moved in advance. With AP Photos.) By JOHN MARSHALL AP Sports Writer The south steps of Arizona State’s football stadium became a shrine in the days after Pat Tillman’s death, covered in flags and flowers, signs and mementos.Tributes to the NFL star-turned-soldier continued to pop up across the country in the weeks and months that followed – stadiums, street signs, awards, even children named in his honor. More substantial memorials came in subsequent years: a statue outside Arizona’s NFL stadium, a bridge high above the massive Hoover Dam, a veteran’s center at the Arizona State University.For all that brick and bronze, no monument captures his spirit. That’s carried on through the good deeds and stunning accomplishments of the thousands he inspired.This is their story – the story of what Pat Tillman left behind.”People reacted emotionally across the country and around the world about his decision to leave football and join the Army, and then when he was killed it had a profound impact on people,” said Marie Tillman, Pat’s widow. ”It’s great to hear (what people have done in his name) because it is the lasting legacy he leaves.”A standout safety with the… Read full this story
- Disaster Report IV: Summer Memories review – compelling earthquake adventure
- Souvenirs: Memories you can hold onto
- How my Facebook post sparked a citizen movement that defeated partisan gerrymandering in Michigan
- Palghar lynching sparks war of words between Sena and BJP
- 1 Year Later, AJ's Memory Lives On
- Delhi Gymkhana: One of India’s most elite clubs has again sparked a bitter takeover battle
- India coronavirus: Can the Covid-19 lockdown spark a clean air movement?
- Iran escalates war of words with Donald Trump as France joins US in condemning Iran's military satellite launch
- ‘Aladdin’ Keeps Disney’s Live-Action Toon Pics On A Magic Carpet Ride: No. 7 On Deadline’s 2019 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament
- Director Justin Kurzel Wants to Rebuild the Modern Action Movie
Tillman’s memory sparks action, not words have 328 words, post on www.foxsports.com at September 3, 2011. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.