Not only is Charlie Stross a published sci-fi author, but he is also an advocate for DRM-free eBooks. As such, he’s put together a thoughtful argument as to why DRM-free eBooks will be good for the publishing world… After I recommended that the major publishers drop mandatory DRM from their ebook products, I realized that my essay had elided a bunch of steps in my thinking, and needed to reconsider some points. Then I realized that it’s not a simple, straightforward argument to make. Consequently, I ended up writing another essay, although I’ve tried to summarize my conclusions below. Advertisement First, my conclusions: 1. The rapid current pace of change in the electronic publishing sector is driven by the consumer electronics and internet industry. It’s impossible to make long term publishing plans (3-10 years) without understanding these other industries and the priorities of their players. It is important to note that the CE industry relies on selling consumers new gadgets every 1-3 years. And it is through their gadgets that readers experience the books we sell them. Where is the CE industry taking us? 2. Dropping DRM across all of Macmillans products will not have immediate, global, positive effects on… Read full this story
- Widevine DRM: What it is and what version does your phone support?
- The best free ebook download sites: from new bestsellers to classic Shakespeare
- How to Turn Any eBook Into an Audiobook
- The Annoyances of eBooks
- 9to5Mac Happy Hour 349: Hands-on with iPhone 13 Pro, new iPad mini impressions, iTunes DRM struggles
- Apple loses appeal of ebooks case ruling, will pay $450 million in damages
- Apple formally appeals ebooks antitrust ruling, asks for monitor to be suspended until a new decision is made
- Apple agrees to $400 million settlement in ebook price-fixing case
- Your movie on every platform, sort of, for a while: how the new UltraViolet DRM fails
- The Best iPad Mini Cases of 2021
The Case Against DRM on eBooks have 311 words, post on gizmodo.com at April 25, 2012. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.