No knife in the back for Clegg…but that time may still come By Quentin Letts for the Daily Mail Published: 23:00 GMT, 10 July 2012 | Updated: 10:03 GMT, 11 July 2012 13 View Come the 10.10pm result – 124 for the Noes, met by lusty cheers from the Tory backbenches – Nick Clegg was as pale as frozen pastry. A smile-free zone. His Bill had been given its Second Reading but chunks of Coalition plasterwork had been lost. David Cameron was crinkly-eyed, rueful, perhaps cheerier. A lick of hair glooped down the prime ministerial brow. He and Mr Clegg had been told the result in a private huddle a minute earlier by Tory Chief Whip Patrick McLoughlin. Triumphant would not be the word for their body language. The House was packed for the last minutes. One of the biggest hoorays of the two-day debate had come when windy Wayne David, for Labour, uttered those precious words, ‘May I say finally…?’ Mr David is no son of Cicero. The House of Lords: Unelected but impressive Then Mr Clegg’s Tory deputy, Mark Harper, who could pass for a door-to-door Bible salesman, had a ten-minute wind-up for the Government. By this point… Read full this story
- Saturday's season opener has been a long time coming — 979 days — for LSU's Thaddeus Moss
- Steely-eyed Queen is seen for first time since Prince Harry announced he and Meghan Markle will quit the Royal Family as crisis talks with Prince Charles and Prince William continue
- Paris Hilton says she doesn't 'have time for love'... three months after her split from fiance Chris Zylka
- Pregnant Casey Batchelor displays her baby bump as she spends quality time with daughter Florence ahead of welcoming her second child
- Arjun Kapoor Gets INKED For The Second Time; This Is What His New Tattoo Means!
- Nick Clegg: I could work with Labour, just not Gordon Brown
- Dancing On Ice's Chris breaks down in tears as he makes plea to Libby Clegg
- The tragic story behind Dancing on Ice's Libby Clegg's deteriorating eye condition
- Dancing On Ice’s blind Paralympian Libby Clegg reduces judge Christopher Dean and fans to tears with amazing routine
- London yobs caught carrying knives 10 TIMES A DAY as our map shows where 2020 stabbings may be most likely to happen
No knife in the back for Clegg...but that time may still come have 370 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at July 10, 2012. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.