The preliminary finds including unique items, recovered from the shipwreck off central Quang Ngai province’s Binh Chau commune after a painstaking excavation that kicked off early last month and adopted an innovative excavation method, are really eye-opening. According to Dr. Pham Quoc Quan, from the National Heritage Council, at the June 30 finding report meeting, this shipwreck, which dates back to the 13th century, is the oldest and relatively most intact compared to the five previous ones. “The potteries which were previously unidentified now cement our research so far. Though we haven’t made specific inventories of all these antiques, they come in a wide variety, with many brown-glazed items unseen by archeologists before,” he noted. The hulk and the antiques it carried have provided researchers with abundant intriguing information on various issues, including the ship’s structure and craftsmanship, the origins, quality and history of the items and their role on the Silk Road in the East Sea many centuries ago, Quan stressed. “The hulk itself, which boasts unique, rare structure, is a treasured antique, which contributes massively to our knowledge of antique ships in Vietnam and worldwide,” said Dr. Nguyen Dinh Chien, deputy head of the National History museum. The…
- Archaeologists find grim haul of 1,700-year-old skeletons in Peru with half their feet MISSING because the bones were 'used to make JEWELLERY'
- Photos: 1,700-Year-Old Egyptian Mummy Revealed
- 30,000-Year-Old Flour Finding Suggests Cavemen Craved Carbs
- Watch the Moment a 14-Year-Old Girl Finds Out She's the Newest Disney Princess
- 1,700-Year-Old Dead Sea Scroll 'Virtually Unwrapped,' Revealing Text
- The world's OLDEST intact shipwreck: A 2,400-year-old 'Odysseus' Greek trading vessel is discovered 1.3 miles down at the bottom of the Black Sea
- World's earliest flesh-eating fish: Scientists find a 150-million-year old piranha-like creature that ripped chunks out of other sea creatures
- 'I took it off and threw it at the window': Brave six-year-old boy who woke up in bed when a snake bit his leg says he wasn't scared by the reptile
- Archaeologists find a 3,000-year-old megalithic temple that was used to stage 'pagan rituals of water worship' in ancient Peru
- Family doctor is guilty of sexually motivated misconduct after he was caught trying to groom a 13-year-old girl in a chat room that he claimed he used to de-stress following a violent robbery on a trip to visit his mother in Pakistan
The illuminating 700-year-old excavation finds have 392 words, post on at July 1, 2013. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.