In August, we announced the very first winner of the inaugural ABA Journal Short Fiction Contest. The winner of the $3,000 prize was Whitehall, Mich., lawyer Lance Hendrickson, whose haunting submission is published here. The annual contest, supported by the Erskine M. Ross Trust, is intended to encourage literary fiction that illuminates the role of the law and lawyers in society. As you will see in the following pages, Hendrickson’s gritty exploration of a circumstantial infant death case reveals the variety of truths a lawyer may be forced to confront to achieve the best result for a client—and explaining painful reality may well be the toughest part of the job.Shauna Kinney was scared. Frightened. And rightly so. Anybody would’ve been. I would’ve been, too, in her shoes. I mean, seven days before, she’d been booked in to jail for the first time, on a million-dollar bond, and for the last three days she’d been living under suicide watch. In the Delavan County lockup back then, “suicide watch” just meant solitary confinement with no sheets or blankets, with the lights on 24/7, and a usually-male, $9.75-an-hour, not-quite-road-officer banging on the bars with an old nightstick at the top of every hour…. Read full this story
- George Pell returns to court, prosecutors push for 'immediate' jail sentence for child sex abuse
- Which Jimmy Savile stories are true? Dame Janet Smith's inquiry separates sick facts from fiction
- Wang Quanzhang: China jails leading human rights lawyer
- Study: COVID-19 ‘170 Times Less Deadly than Accidents’ as Cause of Death in U.S.
- Critically-ill patients are taken off coronavirus-stricken cruise ship carrying hundreds of Britons and four dead passengers as it finally docks in Florida after being turned away from multiple ports
- Scenes from Delhi’s two check posts: A dead boy on a motorcycle and a man who left home to avoid a quarrel
- : Jay Leno Praises 'Amazing' 10-Year-Old Golden Buzzer Winner Emanne Beasha's 'Raw Talent'
- Go wild for these children's books! From Winnie The Pooh to The Gruffalo, there's a story to keep even the pickiest child entertained during the lockdown...
- How To Plague: Advice On Navigating Joint Child Custody During Coronavirus
- R. Kelly Arrested in Chicago on Federal Child Pornography and Racketeering Charges
A dead child, an old grudge, and a lawyer caught between the facts and the truth have 368 words, post on www.abajournal.com at December 31, 2013. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.