Every day, rain or shine, Pete Buchmann walks five miles to visit his best friend, Buster. Buchmann and Buster were inseparable until July, when Buchmann’s financial resources were depleted and he found himself homeless, with no way to care for his 9-year-old pet. “When I couldn’t pay my rent any more, I moved across the street into the backyard of an empty house,” Buchmann said. “I pitched a two-man tent, and it was kind of fun for about a week, but it wasn’t good for Buster.” He asked police where he could take Buster, so he would be cared for until Buchman could get on his feet again. He was given contact information for Faithful Friends Animal Society in Wilmington. Delaware’s Animal Heroes recognized His first two calls to the no-kill shelter couldn’t be returned because his cell phone kept dying. Most people didn’t seem open to letting him charge his phone. On his third try, he left a description of where he and Buster could be found in Claymont. “We drove out and found them,” said Lou Henderson, manager of the shelter’s dog department. “We also took Pete a goodie bag with some food and things in it to… Read full this story
- Salem homeless Point-in-Time count: Volunteers reach out to hundreds
- What’s the Leading Cause of Homelessness for Oregon Women?
- Small group of homeless digs in on Young Street
- How a San Pedro man went from panhandler to counter clerk at a 7-Eleven
- Amid anxiety among homeless, law enforcement begins plan to gradually clear out Santa Ana riverbed encampments
- Freehold mom story shows how Family Promise helps temporarily homeless
- Elaine Herzberg's family helps create charity to aid the homeless
- Knoxville's Vestal community sees homeless uptick, blames city day park
- City shuts down homeless camp in downtown Louisville
- Apple Watch leads Douglas County detectives to Wilber Martinez-Guzman
Homeless man, dog help each other through hard times have 308 words, post on www.delmarvanow.com at November 20, 2014. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.