LONDON: Miss South Africa, 22-year-old Rolene Strauss, was crowned Miss World 2014 at the pageant’s final in London on Sunday, with an estimated billion viewers watching on television around the globe. Miss Hungary, Edina Kulcsar, was the runner-up and Miss United States, Elizabeth Safrit, came third in the 64th annual competition, contested by women from 121 countries. The medical student clasped her hands together in surprise and was crowned by the outgoing Miss World, Megan Young of the Philippines, before a fireworks finale. “South Africa this is for you,” Strauss said afterwards. “I think I will brace myself for what’s about to happen. It’s a huge responsibility.” This year’s event has been rocked by the murder of Miss Honduras, 19-year-old Maria Jose Alvarado, who was shot dead along with her sister last month. Their bodies were found on the day the beauty queen was due to travel to London. Police in Honduras accuse her sister’s boyfriend of shooting them after seeing his partner dancing with another man at a party. Strauss will travel to the violence-hit central American nation to build a school named in the sisters’ honor. While beauty remains central to the event, the women taking part are… Read full this story
- World's oldest woman claims milk and spinach helped her reach 128th birthday
- Cricketing world in shock over Andrew Symonds’ death
- New Zealand sneak past South Africa to enter maiden World Cup final
- Archaeologists stunned on discovering 'totally new species' of human in African cave
- Max Verstappen joins Lewis Hamilton in push to make F1 bosses end 29-year wait
- ‘World’s oldest woman’ celebrates 128th birthday
- Praia da Luz locals say Madeleine McCann disappearance is 'thing nobody talks about now'
- ‘Really hurts’: With Andrew Symonds’ death, cricket world is in mourning again
- Monkeypox world map: Monkeypox goes global - Full list of 7 countries with confirmed cases
- 'King' Virat Kohli To 'Baby AB': Hits And Misses Of The 2022 IPL Season | Cricket News
South African is Miss World have 320 words, post on www.manilatimes.net at December 15, 2014. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.