Rod Carew is one of the more beloved Minnesota Twins of all time. On Oct. 1, Carew celebrated his 70th birthday.In honor of the occasion, here are 70 facts about the Hall of Famer:1. Was born on a train in the Panama Canal Zone and was named for the doctor who delivered him (Rodney Cline), who happened to be on that train.2. Moved to New York City as a teenager.3. Did not play high school baseball.4. Played for a team in the Bronx Federation League. The father of one of his teammates was a bird-dog scout for the Minnesota Twins.5. Was signed by the Minnesota Twins on June 25, 1964.6. Pitcher Catfish Hunter once said of Carew: “He has no weakness as a hitter. Anything you throw he can handle.”7. The most home runs he hit off one pitcher was 7 off Catfish Hunter.8. Began his pro career as an 18-year-old in Florida Instructional League and Cocoa Rookie League in 1964.9. Made his major-league debut April 11, 1967 at Baltimore.10. Collected his first major-league hit that day, as well, off the Orioles’ Dave McNally.11. Hit his first major-league home run in Detroit off the Tigers’ Denny McLain on April 21,… Read full this story
- Muhammad Ali celebrates 70th birthday
- Muhammad Ali cheered at 70th birthday bash in Ky.
- As Ali nears 70th birthday, old friends reminisce
- Media, players celebrate Tendulkar’s 40th birthday
- Ali’s life to be honored by celebrities
- Ali still the Greatest as he celebrates 70th
- Ali returning to Louisville for birthday
- Carew ‘never did’ convert to Judaism
- Happy birthday America! Paris Hilton, A-Rod and J-Lo lead the stars celebrating the 4th Of July on Instagram as Bethenny Frankel and Lisa Rinna don patriotic bikinis
- Molitor, Carew mentor young Twins players
70 facts celebrating Rod Carew’s 70th birthday have 278 words, post on www.foxsports.com at October 1, 2015. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.