Stephanie Mills, Broadway’s original Dorothy in “The Wiz,” begins rehearsals Monday for her role as Aunt Em in NBC’s production of the musical. She tells [email protected] she’s blown away by the “girl power” on tap for TV audiences in “The Wiz Live!” airing Dec. 3. Pop stars Queen Latifah (as the Wiz) and Mary J. Blige (as the nasty Evilene) are among the leads. Uzo Aduba, of “Orange is the New Black,” plays goody-goody Glinda. Amber Riley is the Good Witch of the North. “I’m starstruck. I’ll think we’ll have a huge girl powwow,” Mills told theater critic Joe Dziemianowicz. Mills, a Grammy-winner for “Never Knew Love Like This Before,” was at the Majestic Theater, where “The Wiz” premiered in 1975, to talk about old times and to meet a new colleague. On Friday, Mills was introduced to 19-year-old Shanice Williams, a bubbly unknown cast as NBC’s Dorothy in an open call. The emotional meeting was filmed for Peacock Production’s documentary about the making of the live telecast. The doc airs Thanksgiving eve. “Shanice reminds me of me when I was her age,” says Mills, 58, who was filmed singing and chatting with the newcomer. “She’s a beautiful spirit.” “The… Read full this story
- Tony-nominated Broadway star Nick Cordero passes away at 41 due to coronavirus complications
- Broadway star Nick Cordero dies at 41 following 94 days in hospital battling COVID-19 and his heartbroken wife pays tribute: 'God has another angel in heaven now'
- Meghan Markle supports #BlackLivesMatter, calls US events 'devastating'; says she was nervous her words will be 'picked apart'
- 33 powerful Black Lives Matter murals
- Coronavirus live updates: Broadway star Nick Cordero dies of COVID-19 in Los Angeles
- Amanda Kloots says she plans to refinance her home to 'pay bills' as she reveals husband Nick Cordero is doing 'slightly better' as he spends fourth month in hospital
- X Factor’s Misha B says she felt suicidal after show judges called her ‘a bully’ live on TV
- Mum slammed after saying she ‘hates Autism’ and it ‘shouldn’t be celebrated’ as she struggles as a special needs parent
- 'I've been carrying this pain for 9 years': Tearful Leigh-Anne Pinnock says she 'doesn't care if she loses fans' after 'overwhelming' response to her emotional video about racism
- Big Brother star Josie Gibson reveals she faced ‘death threats and back stabbing’ after winning 2010 show
Broadway star Stephanie Mills says she's blown away by girl power in 'The Wiz Live!' have 388 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at October 4, 2015. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.