Set back from the roadside in the Cologne suburb of Bayenthal, a small portable village stands ready and waiting to provide shelter to some 480 refugees. But with the number of refugees arriving in Germany on the decrease, the temporary accommodation is currently home to just 30 people. “We first noticed that there were fewer residents arriving at our refugee accommodation at the beginning of the year,” Patrick Quack, the leader of the education team at the Bayenthal shelter, tells DW. According to the latest figures from the Interior Ministry, a total of 5,000 refugees came to Germany in March – or about 200 per day. Just two months earlier, more than 2,000 people were still arriving in the country every day. The ministry has largely attributed the decrease to the closing of the Balkan land route used by hundreds of thousands of people headed to northern countries from Greece, as well as the implementation of a deal between the European Union and Turkey to reduce the number of people with asylum claims on EU soil. As a result of the decrease, many of the makeshift shelters that quickly went up last year in sports halls and gyms have been… Read full this story
- New Delhi shanty town blaze exposes plight of India's Rohingya refugees
- Turkey calls EU's additional aid for refugees "big delusion" that won't fix migration
- Dip in Italy’s Cases Does Not Come Fast Enough for Swamped Hospitals
- Teenage refugees jailed for causing devastating fire in Lesbos asylum seeker camp
- Donald Trump’s Refugee Policy Is Bureaucratic Sadism
- E.U. Woos Turkey for Refugee Help, Ignoring Rights Crackdown
- The Youth Prepare for #Summer2021, a Glorious Summer They’re Unlikely to Get
- Moynihan Train Hall Becomes a Destination: ‘This Gives Us Hope’
- Time Magazine Endorses Transgender Claim of 'Female Penis'
- Harsh Varrdhan Kapoor: Films Should Reflect Unpredictability And Randomness Of Life
Dip in refugees gives shelters time to reflect, prepare have 299 words, post on www.dw.com at April 9, 2016. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.