The Louisiana Senate is considering a bill this week that would treat violence against police, firefighters, and emergency medical technicians as a hate crime. It’s been dubbed the “Blue Lives Matter” bill, and it is a civil rights nightmare waiting to happen. HB 953, which you can read in full here, would amend the state’s hate crime law to make it illegal to target someone’s “person or property” for a crime “because of actual or perceived employment as a law enforcement officer or firefighter.” A law enforcement officer is defined very broadly here to include many active-duty and retired officers, as well as prison corrections officers: “Law enforcement officer” shall mean any active or retired city, parish, or state law enforcement officer, peace officer, sheriff, deputy sheriff, probation or parole officer, marshal, deputy, wildlife enforcement agent, state correctional officer, a commissioned agent of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections, and any federal law enforcement officer or employee whose permanent duties include making arrests, performing search and seizures, execution of criminal arrest warrants, execution of civil seizure warrants, any civil functions performed by sheriffs or deputy sheriffs, enforcement of penal or traffic laws, or the care, custody, control, or supervision… Read full this story
- Proposed Federal Law Would Be a Hate Crime Against America
- White Girls, 11 and 10, Arrested in Alleged Hate Crime in School Bus Beating of 10-Year-Old Black Girl
- A Police Union Is Telling Cops to Use the Punisher's Logo Amid an Investigation Into Racist Social Media Posts
- Is There Enough Police Assistance in My Area?
- How Women Decrease Their Vulnerability to Sexual Crimes
- Police Chief Says It’s Perfectly Fine an Officer Was Part of a Hate Group Because the Cop Already Retired From Racism
- Who in the Police State Gets Extralegal Exemptions?
- Wild West Britain exposed: Knife crime soars to record high of 44,000 offences a year with robberies, gun crime and fraud also up - but number of crimes solved drops to just 7.4 per cent with only 1.4 per cent of rapes ending up in court
- Report: Hundreds of Police Officers Belong to Racist Facebook Groups
- Domestic Violence - Crime and Unjust Punishment
Louisiana 'Blue Lives Matter' Bill Would Make Violence Against Police and Firefighters a Hate Crime have 350 words, post on theslot.jezebel.com at May 10, 2016. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.