Britain has voted to leave the European Union to take greater control of its economy and its borders, shattering the stability of the continental unity forged after World War II. The decision launches what will be years of negotiations over trade, business and political links with the E.U., which will shrink to a 27-nation bloc. Official results released early Friday show the ‘Leave’ side prevailed 52 per cent to 48 per cent in Thursday’s vote, which had a turnout of 72 per cent. The U.K. is the first major country to decide to leave the bloc, which evolved from the ashes of the war as the region’s leaders sought to build links and avert future hostility. The choice of Briton’s have boosted the anti-EU camp in many nations including, the Netherlands, and Italy. Financial authorities around the world have warned that a British exit will reverberate through a delicate global economy. Live updates (time in IST): 11 p.m.: Google says a leading question in the U.K. on Friday was, “What is the EU?” “What is the EU?” was perhaps something to consider and Google before Britons voted themselves out of the European Union. Yet it’s the second-highest question on the… Read full this story
- Tuesday briefing: EU strikes deal on Covid recovery
- Nicola Sturgeon: ‘If we crash out with no deal, Corbyn will be almost as responsible as May or Johnson’
- Triumph and tumult: The story of Boris Johnson's first year as prime minister
- Boris Johnson's 12 most memorable moments in year since he became Prime Minister
- The cost of Covid-19 may yet divide No 10 from the Treasury
Brexit: Britain’s historic EU referendum — As it happened have 268 words, post on www.thehindu.com at June 23, 2016. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.