PARIS (AP) The Paris mayor is promising to clear all city streets of garbage by the end of the day after 12 days of strikes that have left a stinky mess – and further clouded France’s image as it hosts the European Championship soccer tournament. Unions remain determined to keep up strikes at the main Paris waste incineration plant, on commuter trains taking fans to the opening match Friday, and on Air France flights starting Saturday. The strikes are part of months of nationwide labor action aimed at forcing the government to scrap a bill extending the work week and making layoffs easier. Mayor Anne Hidalgo said the city has brought in dozens of extra garbage trucks over the past two days to clear the accumulated rubbish, which is getting especially smelly in the warm, muggy weather. ”All the garbage will be collected today,” she told BFM television Friday. The challenge will be finding a place to dump it: Striking workers have blocked the main waste plant serving the city for several days. Baptiste Talbot of the CGT public workers union said Hidalgo’s prognosis was ”a bit optimistic,” but didn’t object to the move. ”We want to maintain pressure with… Read full this story
- Bay Area Host Committee Submits Bid For Hosting 2026 World Cup Games
- Qatar interested in hosting 2032 Olympic Games
- Geczik, Hranicky voted Top Drawer Soccer All-Americans
- Is there REALLY a second coronavirus wave rolling across Europe? Cases are rising in popular holiday hotspots Spain, France, Belgium and Germany — but deaths are NOT going up... so should Britain be worried or do we just need to 'learn to live with it'?
- Trade talks and nostalgia as Hassan Rouhani returns to France
- Tony Buzbee pops the question to Frances Moody on private yacht on her birthday
- Ex-South American soccer head stays in prison with virus
- Striking image of Britain's Olympic hopefuls in 1908 is transformed in set of colourised pictures released on what should have been first day of Tokyo 2020 Games
- Ghislaine Maxwell news: Brit ‘will strike plea deal and absolve’ Prince Andrew as she faces 23 hours a day in jail cell
- Teacher union threatens ‘safety strikes’
France: strikes, trash taint image as it hosts soccer event have 349 words, post on www.foxsports.com at June 10, 2016. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.