DONALD Trump may have won a landslide in November’s presidential election – but his rival Hillary Clinton actually got almost three million more votes across the USA.Now Trump has reopened the debate over his own legitimacy as US president after announcing a fraud probe into whether illegal immigrants and dead people cost him the popular vote.The reality star turned politician has claimed the system is rigged, saying he would have won easily if not for the “the millions of people who voted illegally”.So how does the US election work – and why does it matter?The popular vote is simply the total votes cast for each candidate across the whole United States.In November Trump won a majority in 30 states including most of the South and Mid-West.But his nationwide total of 62,980,160 was almost 2.9million fewer than Hillary Clinton’s tally of 65,845,063.Overall Clinton won the popular vote by a margin of 48 per cent to 46 per cent for Trump.Simply put, it doesn’t.According to the US Constitution, presidents are elected by the electoral college, not directly by the people.Trump won 304 electoral collage votes compared to Clinton’s 227, a huge margin of victory.However, presidents who do not also win the popular vote may struggle to… Read full this story
- Can the Queen vote, and other election questions
- Should Twitter delete Donald Trump's account over fake news concerns?
- Impeachment Vote May Come Back to Haunt Republicans
- General election 2017: How many people are registering to vote?
- 'He had nothing!' Trump says 'Robert Mueller did a poor job' during hours of congressional grilling and THANKS Democrats for holding the hearings – but declares they'll lose big in 2020 because they didn't hurt him
- Trump Got Super Weird and Conspiratorial Last Night
- Donald Trump claims 'never Trumper' Purple Heart-winning colonel 'could find NO quid pro quo in the transcript' and others listening 'found NOTHING wrong' – after officer said published version had words and phrases REMOVED
- Purple Heart vet tells Congress the White House REMOVED words and phrases from the transcript of President Trump's call with the Ukrainian president and claims his efforts to make the corrections were ignored
- How social media took us from Tahrir Square to Donald Trump
- DACA Illegal Aliens Surged Hispanic Vote, Flipping GOP Counties Blue
What is the popular vote, how does it effect US Election results and why does Donald Trump believe ‘millions voted illegally’? have 372 words, post on www.thesun.ie at January 25, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.