Thuy also brought home a consolation prize for her ‘Love Heart for Hanoi’, a heart-shaped sculpture decorated with millions of ceramic tiles.
The mural at Da Nang airport covers a pillar that is 7.4m in height and 6.4m in diameter featuring images of flowers and tropical trees.
The work, made with paints produced by the French-based industrial paint producer Guard Industrie, was inaugurated in March this year as the first painting as part of an art project to transform Da Nang airport into a tropical garden.
The project was highly appreciated by the judges for creatively and successfully applying materials in building and industrial construction into community arts. The use of flowers and green trees helps to create a fresh and environmentally-friendly feel for viewers, thus meeting criteria set for the IDA’s Design for Society and Design for Environment category.
Earlier, Thuy was given an honourable mention at the eighth IDA in 2015 for her lotus-shaped fountain at Mai Xuan Thuong flower garden.
In addition to the three prize winning works, Thuy is also the creator a number of significant ceramic projects such as the four-kilometre ceramic mosaic mural on the wall of the dyke system of Hanoi; a 2.3×1.9 metre map of Vietnam; and six ceramic paintings of Truong Sa (Spratly) archipelago.
The IDA, established in 2007, is held annually in Los Angeles, USA, with the aim of recognising, honouring and promoting legendary design visionaries and uncovering emerging talents in architecture as well as interior, product, graphic and fashion design on a global level.
This year’s competition attracted more than 1,000 entries sent from architects and designers from 52 countries throughout the world. Winners of this year’s event will be honoured at a ceremony scheduled on June 10 at the A+D Architecture & Design Museum in Los Angeles.
‘Love Heart for Hanoi’, a heart-shaped sculpture by painter, Nguyen Thu Thuy which won the 10th IDA consolation prize
- Cork Airport wins prestigious global marketing award
- Mars boot made from human sweat and Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty among design award nominees
- Derry Girls wins coveted Edinburgh TV award for best comedy
- Dazzling mural painting village in Hanoi
- Here's why this M&S store has won a design award
- Red Dot Design Award goes to Ukraine for Ukraine NOW
- Social Design Award 2018: The Final Dash in Our Readers' Competition!
- LAD College wins bronze medal in Maharashtra DSO U-19 badminton tournament
- International design course to be launched in Budapest
- Haunting but moving mural painted where homeless man sat