Russia is accused of bold intrusions into vital US infrastructure (elections, nuclear power plants), actions that one expert says were made without fear of reprisal. The US has not offered a strong response to Russian cyberattacks despite being aware of them for years. Russia has compromised the US’s ability to enact independent foreign policy with its gains in cyberspace. For decades, the US has leveraged the world’s greatest conventional and nuclear military forces to become a superpower that no country would dare attack. But in 2017, the country finds itself under attack by nation-states in a way unseen since World War II amid a failure of one of the most important pillars of American strength: deterrence. The US intelligence community has accused Russia of conducting cyberattacks on US voting systems and political networks during the 2016 presidential campaign and election. Cybersecurity experts also attribute a series of recent intrusions into US nuclear power plants to Russia. While cyberattacks do not kill humans outright in the way the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor did, they degrade the faith of Americans in their political systems and infrastructure in a way that could devastate the country and that furthers the foreign-policy goals of… Read full this story
- Open Skies: Russia starts withdrawing from defense pact
- And In That Corner … A Thor-ough look at Notre Dame’s defensive draft hopefuls
- Closing the remaining US consulates in Russia is shortsighted
- Election Hacking: Security Upgrades Are Too Little, Too Late for 2018 Midterms, and Race is Already on for 2020, Experts Say
- Mueller Found No 'Conspiracy' Between WikiLeaks, Trump and Russia. So Why Didn't We Hear About it?
- Defense Secretary Nominee: US Faces Enemies Both at Home and Abroad
- Biden's Day 1 Russia problem
- Biden DHS, Intel picks stress need to prioritize cybersecurity after SolarWinds hack
- Meet the Lawyers Defending Trump and His Associates in Russia Probes: Ongoing
- China, Russia and Iran ‘stoking Capitol violence in US by posing as Proud Boy extremists and pushing QAnon conspiracies’
A key American defense has failed, and now Russia fears no reprisal for hacking the US have 320 words, post on www.businessinsider.my at July 17, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.