LONDON – A former UK diplomat to the European Union has told Business Insider that Theresa May’s government is handling Brexit talks in the “absolute worst way” possible. Speaking to BI this week, Steven Bullock, a former UK negotiator to the EU, offered a scathing assessment of how ministers have behaved both before and after Brexit talks began, claiming that EU figures in Brussels are “baffled” by how unprepared the British side has been for negotiations. “The people I talk to are just really sad about it. It’s like a friend who goes off the rails and you offer to help them and they turn you down,” Bullock, who is currently based in Brussels, told BI. Bullock worked for the Department for International Development (DFID) before joining the UK’s Representation to the European Union in 2010 where he negotiated several EU regulations for the UK in EU Council working groups. In a wide-ranging interview with BI, the former diplomat said that: Senior ministers are ignoring the expertise of civil servants. Boris Johnson is a “rear-end of a pantomime horse” who is embarrassing Britain. Brexit is “insanely complex” and it is “absurd” to say a free trade deal can be agreed… Read full this story
- May pleads with EU27 for Brexit deal she can defend
- Brexit: fifth of Labour MPs defy three line whip to vote against article 50 bill
- UK faces Brexit crisis after Europe’s leaders demand: ‘Get out now’
- Johnson sends 'ditch the backstop' message to EU via Brexit adviser
- Rees-Mogg 'surprised' if DUP don't back new Brexit proposals
- European leaders can ‘go whistle’ over EU divorce bill, says Boris Johnson
- Brexit would spark decade of ‘economic limbo’, claims top Tory
- Baldrick or brilliant? Rees-Mogg's cunning Brexit plan for Northern Ireland divides opinion
- Rees-Mogg's Brexit plan for Northern Ireland divides opinion
- DUP warns PM it won't back any deal that 'traps us in EU'
Former UK-EU negotiator: May is handling Brexit in the ‘absolute worst way’ possible have 308 words, post on www.businessinsider.my at July 19, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.