Get the Better newsletter. SUBSCRIBE If you claim that you never lie, well, you’re a liar. Those little white lies are slipping out more often than you realize: One study found that Americans, on average, tell about 11 lies per week. Other research shows that number is on the conservative side. A study published in the Journal of Basic and Applied Social Psychology found that 60 percent of people can’t go 10 minutes without lying at least once. And it gets worse: Those that did lie actually told an average of three lies during that short conversation. Why do we do it? In surveying more than 100 psychology graduate students currently or previously in therapy, Leslie Martin, PhD, of Wake Forest University’s counseling center, found that of the 37 percent who reported lying, most did so “to protect themselves in some way — mostly to avoid shame or embarrassment, to avoid painful emotions and to avoid being judged.” 60 percent of people can’t go 10 minutes without lying at least once. You know, like when you’re too tired to go to brunch so you claim you have a stomach bug or you tell your boss you had train trouble when… Read full this story
- Is your fitness tracker LYING to you?Some gadgets are so unreliable they don't know how far you are running - with the worst offender misjudging a marathon by 11 MILES
- Google, Facebook, and Twitter Tell Biden Campaign They Won't Remove Defamatory Trump Ad
- Is your Web Hosting Provider telling you everything about their Web Hosting Packages & Servers?
- You are Being Lied About Reciprocal Links!
- 4 White Lies Of Network Marketing
- Shepard Smith 'was sick of being attacked by his Fox News primetime colleagues' and asked for a way out of his $15million a year contract - while a former staffer says it will be 'telling' to see who is chosen as his replacement
- EXCLUSIVE: 33-year-old pervert who kept anorexic and autistic 16-year-old as his sex slave savors his freedom after walking free in sweetheart deal - as ex-girlfriend tells DailyMailTV he would kidnap a pre-teen if he could
- Elizabeth Warren's viral same-sex marriage quip shows what some find exciting — and others distressing — about her
- From moss meditation to freestyle dancing
- Hospitals using 'emergency' beds to meet demand
How to tell if someone is lying to you, according to researchers have 371 words, post on www.nbcnews.com at August 15, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.