Princess Elizabeth, as she was at the time, married dashing naval officer Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten at London’s Westminster Abbey on Nov. 20, 1947, just two years after the end of World War Two, in a lavish ceremony attended by statesmen and royalty from around the world. Seventy years on, Elizabeth, 91, and her 96-year-old husband will mark their platinum anniversary with a small family party at Windsor Castle, the monarch’s home to the west of London. A spokesman for Buckingham Palace said there would be no public event to mark the occasion. Greek-born Philip, a descendant of Elizabeth’s great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria in his own right, has been at his wife’s side throughout her 65-year reign, the longest in British history. He was the person who broke the news to her in 1952 that her father, George VI, had died and that she was now queen. “One of the secrets of this very, very long marriage, and it’s an incredibly impressive anniversary, is the fact Prince Philip has always seen it as his main duty to support the queen, to help her in whatever way he can,” royal historian Hugo Vickers told Reuters. “He is the only person who can actually… Read full this story
- Queen and Prince Philip jet off to Balmoral for summer staycation after isolating at Windsor
- Queen and Prince Philip arrive at Balmoral day before Aberdeen lockdown begins
- Balmoral: The Queen and Prince Philip begin summer break in Scotland
- Prince Philip's final salute as Iron Duke marks 'last ever military engagement'
- A bonnie brooch! Cheerful Queen, 94, celebrates the Scottish Highlands by donning a gold stag pin as she arrives at Balmoral with Prince Philip for the start of their summer holiday
- A royal revelation! Windsor Castle's East Terrace Garden which features 3,500 rose bushes and a fountain designed by Prince Philip is set to open to the public for the first time in more than 40 years
- Memorial for all who served in Afghanistan marked by the Queen and Prince Phillip
- Prince Philip and royals to lead UK's VJ Day commemorations
- The Queen will skip a church service at Balmoral as a 'sensible precaution' against coronavirus during her annual summer stay with Prince Philip
- Meghan and Harry latest news: Duchess’ dad Thomas Markle ‘given up on reunion’ and Queen ‘scolded’ Prince over aide row
Going strong after 70 years: UK's Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip celebrate platinum anniversary have 377 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at November 15, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.