Email By Julia Baird and Hayley GleesonIllustrations by Rocco Fazzari Updated November 24, 2017 10:33:24 Map: Australia Women who were married to abusive priests are for the first time revealing their experiences of sexual assault, control and fear. They say the church has known for decades that some clergy abuse their wives but has done very little to fix the ongoing problem.It’s not easy divorcing a priest, let alone a violent one. Jane has taken up smoking since she separated, wears more make-up and listens to music at full volume — all of which would have intensely irritated her ex-husband. Rebellion has many guises; some self-destructive, others artless and unaffected. On a cool Spring afternoon in Sydney’s outer suburbs, she stands in her kitchen, turning up the volume to the song, Praying, Kesha’s paean to staring down — and surpassing — abusive men, and says, over and over, as her feet slide in rhythm on the floor, “This is my song! It’s mine. This song is everything.”You brought the flames and you put me through hellI had to learn how to fight for myselfAnd we both know all the truth I could tellI’ll just say this: I wish you farewellDays… Read full this story
- The NRA Now Opposes the Violence Against Women Act
- Women raped at least 1,900 times finally see their attackers brought to justice
- The Long Shadow of Joe Biden's Legacy on Violence Against Women
- Trump's Nominee to Lead Office of Violence Against Women Believes Arming Women Will Prevent Rape
- Lorena 'Bobbitt' Is Okay With the Penis Jokes As Long As It Brings Attention to Intimate Partner Violence
- Mother of girl gang raped for two months and forcibly tattooed says she’s lost her honour
- Date Rape Survivor Speaking At Rosemont College April 24
- Rape ‘prevalent’ in Syria conflict
- 'Rape cases dropped' over police phone searches
- El Chapo's escape humiliates Mexican president: 'The state looks putrefied'
Raped, tracked, humiliated: Clergy wives speak out about domestic violence have 309 words, post on www.abc.net.au at November 24, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.