Britain has responded to Barnier’s statement, with its Brexit minister David Davis saying he was surprised to hear that the EU’s negotiator was unclear on Britain’s demands in any transition period. “We are seeking a time-limited period that maintains access to each other’s markets on existing terms,” Davis added. Earlier in the day, Michel Barnier stated that the sides disagreed on several issues, including citizens’ rights and the application of European rules during the transition and if these disagreements persist, “the transition is not a given.” READ MORE: Britain Must Play by EU Rules Over Brexit Transition or Else, Analyst Warns The EU negotiator stressed that “the UK must accept all the rules and the conditions right until the end of the transition, and must also accept the inescapable consequences of its decision to leave the European Union.” © REUTERS / Dado Ruvic/IllustrationUK Business Investment to Remain Subdued in 2018 Amid Brexit Uncertainty – EUBarnier also noted that he did not understand the British negative reaction to a draft EU transition agreement that implied sanctions for Britain in case the country is in breach of the terms of the deal. He pointed out that it was common for international agreements to have a serious enforcement mechanism, adding that “there is no desire to punish.” On Wednesday, the EU published a draft agreement which presupposes that Brussels… Read full this story
- Transition period needed to avoid Brexit ‘cliff-edge’
- Britain 'in secret talks over Brexit transition period extension'
- Britain’s Brexit minister meets Spanish officials and expat reps in Madrid visit
- Curious case of the Brexit minister, an invitation to Portsmouth’s port and the letters that did not exist
- Brexit deal ‘very close’ claim EU sources – after Irish PM Leo Varadkar revealed we are close to agreement
- France plans for the "worst" over Brexit: minister
- UK's Brexit minister denies EU plan 'dead in water'
- UK business cannot plan for Brexit disruption because of government secrecy, says chief auditor
- Fears of a ‘no deal’ Brexit causing sleepless night for ex-pats in Spain
- Brexit poses key risk to stability of global economy, IMF says
Brexit Minister 'Surprised' by EU's Claims About Transition Period Uncertainty have 344 words, post on sputniknews.com at February 9, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.