For a war zone veteran who as U.K. national security adviser deals daily with terrorist threats, cyber attacks and now the use of a Russian nerve agent on British soil, Mark Sedwill is a very good sleeper.When he flies long haul for work, the 53-year-old reclines his business class seat, wraps up in a blanket, pulls his seat-belt tight — and meditates. Sedwill drifts into unconsciousness with the same kind of professional efficiency that has won him the total trust of Prime Minister Theresa May.This week, he proved his worth again.May faced an uphill struggle to convince European Union allies to join her in blaming Russia for the March 4 poisoning of a former double agent in the provincial town of Salisbury, England. Sergei Skripal, as well as his daughter Yulia, remain hospitalized in critical condition.Based on comments from EU leaders, and interviews with officials as well as diplomats — some speaking anonymously to discuss confidential information — this article traces how May persuaded the bloc to unite behind her hard line on Russia. This was a task viewed as a critical test of the U.K.’s ability to rally international support after Brexit.Several EU countries including Lithuania and Latvia, once… Read full this story
- Boris Johnson meets Iranian foreign minister with EU allies in bid to save nuclear deal
- Iran nuclear deal: US pull out leaves EU allies worried, Gulf Arabs jubilant; Iran threatens to restart uranium enrichment
- EU tells Trump he doesn’t have the power to unilaterally scrap the Iran nuclear deal
- UK spymaster tells EU: Let's work together to counter Islamist militants, Russia
- British spymaster pleads for EU intelligence cooperation
- Syria's Assad Meets Putin in Russia, Says He Wants 'Political Process' As He Wins War
- India cannot afford to lose Russia as an ally
- On heels of self-boasting, Russia probe-bashing tweet, Trump visits ‘sacred soil’ to praise those who’ve fallen in service
- EU to meet Balkan leaders under shadow of Trump
- EU president tears into Donald Trump, warning US president is bad friend who acts with 'capricious assertiveness'
May Served Secrets Over Dinner to Win EU Allies for Russia Fight have 337 words, post on www.bloomberg.com at March 23, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.