A ‘landmark’ pub in Wakefield city centre that was faced with closure is being returned to its former glory. The Grade-II listed facade of the Elephant and Castle is one of the more notable sites coming into the city centre on Westgate. And now former landlord Tony Padgett has returned to take the reins at the establishment.With a mixture of traditional pub grub, hand pull ales, premium lagers and craft beers, Tony and manager Jamie Russell have big plans after stepping in to save the tavern from the brink.Tony said: “It’s a Wakefield landmark. It has been one of the best pubs in the city.“It’s been closed on and off four times over the past two and a half years and a lot of people think once a pub hits three or four closures that’s it, but we want to bring it back to its best.”It will be the first time in recent history that the pub has been a free house.Tony, who also runs the Black Horse on Westgate, is banking on his experience of what people in the city are looking for in his latest venture.The veteran landlord is enthusiastic about the way Wakefield now boasts a more modern… Read full this story
- Best champagnes to buy priced from £12 including these top-rated supermarket ones
- La Paz, Bolivia guide: what to see plus the best bars, restaurants and hotels
- Best personalised Christmas cards to send to loved ones this festive season
- UK spring breaks: six of the best towns and cities
- Best chocolate advent calendars for Christmas 2020
- See the delights of Denmark’s capital on a city break with a difference
- Amazon Prime Day sale: The best food and drink deals to snap up today - including 45% off Southern Comfort
- The last hurrah! Drinkers hit bars and pubs across the country for one more weekend of freedom before tough new 'rule of six' comes into force next week
- Tasting Buenos Aires: food tours, street art and tango – a local’s guide to the city
- 'I Fell in Love With My Best Friend and Finally Asked Her Out'
City Tastes & Tipples: ‘Elephant has been one of the best pubs’ have 349 words, post on www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk at April 13, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.