BATON ROUGE, La. — Billy Cannon, the gifted running back who won the Heisman Trophy for LSU in 1959 with a memorable Halloween night punt return touchdown against Mississippi, died Sunday. He was 80. LSU said Cannon, the school’s only Heisman winner, died at his home in St. Francisville. The cause of death was not immediately known. Cannon led the Tigers to a national championship in 1958 and won the Heisman the following year, highlighted by his tackle-breaking 89-yard punt return that beat Ole Miss 7-3 and is still regularly shown on the video board at Tiger Stadium during LSU games. “Nearly 60 years later, Louisianans still talk about that Halloween night,” Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards said. “Billy’s legacy at LSU will live on for generations, and every time we enter Tiger Stadium, we’ll remember the impact he left on the players and fans who came after him. “To put it simply, he was one of a kind.” Cannon went on to a successful pro career with the Houston Oilers, Oakland Raiders and Kansas City Chiefs, and became a dentist after retiring from football. But life after football was far from smooth. He served 2 1/2 years in federal… Read full this story
- Former Rangers player Fernando Ricksen dies aged 43
- Derby referee hailed the 'best' by Brian Clough dies aged 81
- Celebrated opera singer Jessye Norman dies, aged 74
- 'Nobody could stop them all night:' LSU's receivers are taking over
- Original EastEnders cast member Sandy Ratcliff, 70, died from an accidental overdose alone in her care home, inquest hears
- Global opera legend Jessye Norman dies at 74
- John Travolta recalls time a fan snuck into his home and hid in his closet back in the '80s: 'It did scare me!'
- Golf Tournament Gifts They Will Die For
- Incredible stories of bravery from Animal Hero Award winners
- Grand Final: What is the Harry Sunderland Trophy and who was he?
Billy Cannon, LSU Heisman Trophy winner, dies at age 80 have 309 words, post on www.denverpost.com at May 20, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.