Sections SEARCH Skip to content Skip to site index Politics Subscribe Log In Subscribe Log In Advertisement Supported by ByMichael Wines May 31, 2018 WASHINGTON — A decision by the Trump administration to add a question on citizenship to the 2020 census discriminates against ethnic minorities for political gain, violating the Constitution, argues a federal lawsuit brought Thursday on behalf of several groups representing minorities. The lawsuit, filed by 21 organizations and two citizen plaintiffs in United States District Court in Maryland, is the fourth major effort to block a citizenship question from the 2020 tally. The first suit, filed in April by a mostly Democratic coalition of state attorneys general and cities, argued that the citizenship question violated the Constitution’s requirement that a census count everyone residing in the United States, as well as laws governing data quality and administrative procedure. The latest suit repeats those claims, but also argues that the administration added the question to deter Asian-Americans, Latinos and some immigrants from completing census forms for fear that the information would be used against them or members of their household, and thus undercount them in the final census tally. A serious population undercount, the plaintiffs said, would… Read full this story
- Stephen King Says DeSantis Used Vaccines For 'Political Gain'
- Trump Is Bringing In New Lawyers On The Citizenship Question Case And No One Knows What's Happening
- Lawyer Harish Salve Says CAA is Necessary, Says Citizenship Act Not against Muslims
- Lawsuit Says Sheriff Discriminated Against Latinos
- The Experiment Podcast: The Political Gains and Lost Faith of Evangelical Identity
- Why Are the Poor and Minorities Less Likely to Vote?
- The Trump Administration’s Bid To Swap Lawyers In The Census Cases Is Not Going Well
- Obama poses a question that we still cannot answer
- ‘Lopping,’ ‘Tips’ and the ‘Z-List’: Bias Lawsuit Explores Harvard’s Admissions Secrets
- General Election top Labour target seats: Places Corbyn must win to seize power
Lawsuit Says Citizenship Question on Census Targets Minorities for Political Gain have 309 words, post on www.nytimes.com at May 30, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.