By Ben Blanchard and David Lawder BEIJING/WHISTLER, British Columbia (Reuters) – The United States wants trade talks in Beijing this weekend to result in structural changes to China’s economy, in addition to increased Chinese purchases of American goods, U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Saturday. U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross arrived in Beijing on Saturday with an interagency team of U.S. officials for talks on long-term purchases of U.S. farm and energy commodities, just days after Washington renewed its threats to impose tariffs on Chinese goods. The purchases are partly aimed at shrinking the $375 billion U.S. goods trade deficit with China. Mnuchin, speaking at a G7 finance leaders meeting in Canada where he was the target of U.S. allies’ anger over steel and aluminum tariffs, said the China talks would cover other issues, including the Trump administration’s desire to eliminate Chinese joint venture requirements and other policies that effectively force technology transfers. “I want to be clear, this isn’t just about buying more (U.S.) goods, this is about structural changes,” Mnuchin said. “But I also fundamentally believe that if there are structural changes that allow our companies to compete fairly, by definition, that will deal with the trade… Read full this story
- Australian Prime Minister Morrison Says He Won't Trade 'Values' in Response to China's 'Coercion'
- Interview: FDI in LatAm should promote progressive structural change, says UN official
- India seeks answers from China on Ladakh peace plan. It is a make-or-break question
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister seeks assurance from China
- India Seeks Support From China, Neighbours to Tackle Bio-Terrorism in Indo-Pacific
- Major digital trade conference wraps up in China's Wuhan
- COVID-19: Kenya seeks vaccine from China
- Uroye’s bill seeking to change Schl of Health Tech law scales first reading at Delta Assembly
- Australia Joins India in Boycott China Movement
- Chang'e 5 lunar probe gathering moon samples
U.S. trade mission seeks structural changes to China's economy: Mnuchin have 316 words, post on www.metro.us at June 1, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.