Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the 28-year old former waitress who shocked Democratic Party politics by defeating Rep. Joe Crowley, D-New York, in a primary last month, is deploying members of her growing campaign staff to help another liberal upstart seeking to unseat a longtime Democratic incumbent. Ocasio-Cortez this week decided to send at least three paid campaign staffers to Delaware to help Kerri Evelyn Harris, an Air Force veteran and community activist who is challenging three-term Sen. Thomas R. Carper, D-Delaware, in a Sept. 6 primary. Aides to Ocasio-Cortez and Harris shared the details first with CBS News. Harris, a political novice based in Dover, Delaware, began her campaign in February, seeking to run to the senator’s left. She is only the second Democrat to challenge Carper since he joined the U.S. Senate in 2000. There is no reliable polling to gauge Harris’ viability in Delaware, where just a few thousand Democrats voted when Carper faced a primary challenge in 2012. If she wins, Harris would be Delaware’s first biracial lesbian woman to serve in Congress — and the first-ever to serve in the U.S. Senate. Harris faces daunting odds, given Carper’s four decades of political success — but so did Ocasio-Cortez… Read full this story
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Considering Run Against Chuck Schumer
- Ocasio-Cortez on challenging Schumer: 'I'm trying to decide what is the most effective thing I can do to help our Congress'
- Cruz hits back after Ocasio-Cortez calls for his resignation
- Maloney vows to overhaul a House Democratic campaign machine 'stuck in the past'
- Democrats poised to impeach Trump again
- AOC Asks ‘Who’s Ready to PUSH’ the Democrat Agenda: ‘Climate Justice,’ ‘Voting Rights’
- AOC Rails Against Democrat for Opposing $2,000 Stimulus Checks
- Lincoln Project Says It Is Building Database of Trump Officials, Staff: ‘They Will Be Held Accountable’
- Democrats Push for Impeachment over Donald Trump’s Phone Call with Georgia Secretary of State
- Lindsey Graham Urges Biden to Stop 2nd Trump Impeachment Push by Democratic Lawmakers
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez deploys campaign staff to help another liberal Democrat have 319 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at July 12, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.