And China is getting in on the act, too. It’s all because of climate change. New ports are being opened and shorter shipping routes exploited. And some 13 per cent of the world’s untapped oil reserves — and 30 per cent of its gas — is believed to sit beneath the North Pole’s surface. The race for dominance over this final frontier has already begun. But, when it comes to the United States, the top of the world is off the radar. It’s an issue not even mentioned in President Trump’s National Defense Strategy, released earlier this year. It wasn’t an raised during his Helsinki meeting with President Putin. It’s absence has not gone unnoticed in the halls of US power. Nor among the rest of the world. “We cannot afford to ignore what is unfolding in the Arctic,” California Rep. John Garamendi, the top Democrat on the subcommittee on transportation and infrastructure, said last month. “The United States must embrace this challenge, for if not, rest assured other nation-states, friend and foe alike, will fill the vacuum.” That’s exactly what’s already happening. Trade routes and resources being opened up by the retreating North Pole ice cap.Source:Supplied NORTHERN EMPIRE “Of… Read full this story
- Once Putin’s War Games Begin in Belarus, Will He Ever Leave?
- Kremlin Welcomes Direct Contact Between South, North Korea
- Andrew McCabe on Trump’s ‘Bizarre’ Job Interview, ‘Astounding’ Putin Comments
- We Need to Know What Happened When Trump Was Left Alone With Putin
- Trump Not Worried China's Covering Up Coronavirus Situation After Talking With President Xi
- Five things to watch in New Hampshire primary debate
- Xi Tours Beijing After 97 Die in a Day in China
- Russia's Military Buildup: Is Vladimir Putin Bluffing?
- Forget Putin, Americans Fear North Korea and ISIS More
- 'Donald Trump Is Adopting Vladimir Putin's Position' on Intelligence, the Military, MSNBC Host Says
New fears raised over President Putin, President Xi’s North Pole ambitions have 310 words, post on www.news.com.au at July 17, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.