Cars include 1963 Indianapolis 500 winner and 1930 two-man Miller For many Verizon IndyCar Series fans, the August 25 Bommarito Automotive Group 500 presented by Axalta and Valvoline at Gateway Motorsports Park will be their first look at the redesigned cars – considerably different from what they saw at the inaugural in 2017. And for many of these fans, this race weekend may also be their first glimpse of the sport’s long and colorful history. Thanks to the efforts of the Vintage Indy Registry, more than 20 Indy cars – ranging from the 1930s to the 1980s – will be on display at the Open Wheel Icons pavilion. Every car has been lovingly and meticulously restored. Many times, these cars were your classic “barn finds,” mere dusty shells of their former selves, missing lots of pieces and parts. It takes lots of time, money, skill, research and patience to properly put an Indy car back together but it’s worth the effort. Of course, each one comes with a briefcase full of interesting facts and anecdotes. One of the more interesting displays is 1930 Indianapolis 500 rookie Shorty Cantlon’s two-man Miller. In those days, a riding mechanic was necessary – and… Read full this story
- Street Racers Take Over Gateway Motorsports Park This Friday
- Cocaine with street value over $500,000 seized in arrest of Orchard Park man
- Retired N.J. teacher had ‘The Price is Right’ on his bucket list. He just won a $50K showcase, including 2 cars.
- Thieves keep stealing wheels from city’s police cars
- Like old school Syracuse University swag? SU alum opens store devoted to vintage gear
- Editorial: Don’t rush to OK motorsports park
- Paul Walker’s iconic collection of rare cars to be auctioned off
- Alabama and Auburn commits and targets shine at The Opening Atlanta recruiting showcase
- Explore Buffalo plans Doors Open event to showcase downtown buildings
- Car pulled out of Spreckels Lake in Golden Gate Park after traffic collision
Open Wheel Icons showcasing vintage Indy cars during Bommarito 500 Weekend • Gateway Motorsports Park have 315 words, post on www.gatewaymsp.com at July 18, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.