FILE – In this June 14, 2018 file photo Mesut Ozil scratches his head during a training session of the German team at the 2018 soccer World Cup in Vatutinki near Moscow, Russia. (AP Photo/Michael Probst, file) Michael Probst By FRANK JORDANS Associated Press Published: 7/22/2018 8:03:40 PM BERLIN – Mesut Ozil is quitting Germany’s national team following criticism over his decision to pose for a picture with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.In a series of statements posted Sunday on Twitter, the Arsenal star announced his retirement from international football. He attacked the German football federation (DFB), its president, fans and the media, criticizing what he saw as racism and double standards in the treatment of people with Turkish roots.Citing anti-Turkish comments from far-right politicians and fans, Ozil said he would “no longer be playing for Germany at international level whilst I have this feeling of racism and disrespect.”He added: “Racism should never, ever be accepted.”The photo of Erdogan, Ozil and Manchester City’s Ilkay Gundogan meeting in London caused an uproar in Germany two months ago.At the time, the head of Germany’s soccer federation, Reinhard Grindel, publicly accused the players – whose families came to Germany from Turkey – of… Read full this story
- Women's National Soccer Team Star Crystal Dunn Says She's 'Excited' Ahead of Her First World Cup
- Inspiring New Video Celebrates the Women's National Soccer Team Ahead of the World Cup
- US men's soccer team blasts federation, wants women's pay tripled
- German soccer teams to wear jerseys against hate, racism
- US Women's Soccer Team Seeks Over $66 Million in Gender Discrimination Lawsuit
- 2020 National Soccer Hall of Fame candidates announced
- Sajal Ali, Ahad Raza Mir announce their IPL Soccer team
- Activities of national football teams to be rescheduled due to COVID-19
- National football team coach returns to Vietnam while coronavirus spreads in hometown
- Hope Solo announces she's pregnant with twins... months after revealing she endured a miscarriage last year: 'A miniature soccer team is on the way'
Ozil quits Germany national soccer team, cites racism have 329 words, post on www.concordmonitor.com at July 21, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.