John McMurray Contributor Updated at 11:53 a.m. ET Updated at 11:53 a.m. ET From the rule allowing voters to select only 10 candidates each year to the broadly defined character clause, the voting process for the Baseball Hall of Fame fans is unique and can sometimes be a challenge to understand and reconcile. Jeff Idelson, president of the National Baseball Hall of Fame since 2008, works with the Hall of Fame’s senior staff team and Board of Directors to set the voting rules, which have changed in several respects over the past decade. He offers his opinions on several major issues relating to how the voting process is and should be run. MORE: The greatest pitching performance you’ve never heard of Sporting News (SN): The rule that voters may select only ten candidates each year is the most heavily debated part of the Hall of Fame election process. Critics say that this rule prevents some worthy Hall of Famers from being elected while also forcing deserving candidates off the ballot when they do not receive at least five percent of the vote. Are you concerned with how the “Rule of 10″ is working in practice? Jeff Idelson (JI): No, we’re very comfortable with the way voting… Read full this story
- How minor-league baseball players, despite pay bump, continue to be exploited by MLB
- Derek Jeter calls Astros sign-stealing scandal 'a black eye for the sport'
- Bradley is good write, good glove, good Tar Heel
- FMIA, NFL Scouting Combine: Thirty Bits of Buzz From the Scene in Indy
- ‘Oh, I’m So Good at Math’: Lessons From the Jay-Z Business Model
- Tribeca Fest 2020 Sets Feature Film Lineup With 95 World Premieres
- MLB spring training: 10 crucial position battles for contending teams, including Cubs and Yankees
- What Noma did next: how the ‘New Nordic’ is reshaping the food world
- Wilson Phillips’s California Dream
Baseball Hall of Fame president Jeff Idelson talks character clause, PED users and ballot changes have 303 words, post on www.sportingnews.com at August 14, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.