World International Affairs Russia has launched naval drills in the Mediterranean Sea, where U.S. warships await what Moscow has said will be a chemical attack in nearby Syria, followed by a new series of missile strikes. Following what Moscow claimed Monday was a U.S. military buildup in the Middle East, Russia sent its largest-ever naval contingent to the waters near Syria. On Wednesday, Russian Northern Fleet spokesman Captain 1st Rank Vadim Serga said that Slava-class cruiser Marshal Ustinov and a grouping of other vessels, including Udaloy-class anti-submarine destroyer Severomorsk, had practiced warding off a militant attack by taking out simulated small sea targets with grenade launchers and high-caliber machine guns as part of the country’s Mediterranean Task Force. “The personnel on watch for anti-submarine and anti-sabotage defense of the cruiser Marshal Ustinov and the large anti-submarine warfare ship Severomorsk fired grenade launchers to prevent an attack by a group of a notional enemy’s underwater sabotage forces and weapons on the warships and vessels,” Serga said, according to the state-run Tass Russian News Agency. The exercises came as the Russian Defense Ministry and Foreign Ministry claimed in recent days that the U.S. and its allies were conspiring with militants opposed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, an ally of… Read full this story
- Iran Launches Massive Military Drills as Israel Goes Public With War Against It in Syria
- Sinai plane crash may show price of Putin's military adventurism in Syria
- U.S. Navy Carrier Begins War Drills With Japan on Way Toward North Korea
- US, South Korea, Japan Launch Joint Military Drills Amid DPRK's Missile Tests
- Houla massacre: US accuses Iran of 'bragging' about its military aid to Syria
- Moscow Unaware of Iran’s Military Base Near Syrian Palmyra - Deputy FM
- Putin Backs Trump's Decision to Pull Troops out of Syria, Says 'Donald Is Right'
- The Hill's 12:30 Report: Pelosi says impeachment articles coming 'soon' as pressure builds
- MoD: Russia to Respond if its Military Threatened by Possible US Strike in Syria
- China-Russia-Iran naval drill is more than just flag-waving
Russia Begins Military Drills Near Syria, Where It Says U.S. Strikes Are Coming Soon have 334 words, post on www.newsweek.com at August 29, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.