21 September 2018 War & Peace From occupied Palestine to Scottish high schools, people across the world are challenging the warmongers. Hazel Healy and Louisa Waugh profile eight extraordinary people on the peace frontline. All illustrations by Olivier Kugler. Heroes with paintbrushes Omaid Sharifi, artist, Afghanistan After 39 years of war in his home country, it perplexed artist Omaid Sharifi that all those held up as heroes in Afghanistan were men with guns. He had a different idea about who should be celebrated. Along with fellow artists, Sharifi co-founded the Artlords collective to start projecting a nonviolent, hopeful message for their battle-scarred country. The Everyday Heroes project was one of their first pieces of street art, depicting Kabul’s municipal workers ‘who get up at 5am to sweep the streets of our city’ and then the ‘good nurses, good teachers, good independent journalists – people who are peaceful, hardworking, and not corrupt’. The Artlords use the ‘blast’ walls that criss-cross Kabul as their canvas. Designed to protect the powerful from the suicide attacks that plague the city, the barriers truncate its streets and symbolize an ever-deteriorating security situation and lack of protection for ordinary civilians. The artists’ collective has imbued the blast… Read full this story
- Meghan Markle has a ‘need to be admired’ while Kate Middleton is ‘the peacemaker’, the royal star signs reveal
- What's New On Hulu In June 2020? More Movies, TV Shows, And Originals
- Gov. Jared Polis appoints attorney general to investigate Elijah McClain’s death
- India Might Seek More Defence Supplies From Russia Amid Border Stand-Off With China, Professor Says
- Shane Dawson's fiancé Ryland Adams calls out Tati Westbook's 'masterclass in manipulation'
- FMIA Guest: Joe Browne Looks Back At AFL-NFL Merger, 50 Years Later
- Eba officially declares for Cross River PDP Chairmanship position
- Afghan Official Open to Discussing Interim Government with Taliban
- Is there ever any point talking to the EDL?
Meet the peacemakers have 301 words, post on newint.org at September 21, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.