(CNN)Since the early primaries began for the 2018 midterm elections, it’s been a year of firsts and to many, a year of the woman. In the midst of this election, the first significant national vote since the election of Donald Trump, Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination and confirmation battle only amped up the existing pressure on questions of gender, power, women’s health and women in elected office. CNN Opinion asked thinkers to weigh in on 2018 as a Year of the Woman. The views expressed here are solely theirs. Laura Coates: The only thing coming to save us is a ballot in shining armor Laura Coates One can be heard without being listened to. Women voters have long felt the impact of this nuance, and the Kavanaugh confirmation hearing exemplified it. Both sides of the political aisle preached that women, particularly women alleging sexual misconduct, should be heard. Cries for due process, notice of the charges against someone accused and meaningful opportunity to be heard echoed throughout both chambers of Congress and reverberated throughout the nation. The actual mechanisms to facilitate sound were provided: a microphone, a camera, and a platform. The intangible mechanisms of listening, however, were regrettably absent. Women noticed…. Read full this story
- Formula 3 star Jamie Chadwick says she has no doubt a woman will be F1 champion
- South Carolina adds 2 top-15 recruits for next year
- Kareem Hunt Video: Kansas City Chiefs Star Seen Shoving, Kicking Woman In Hotel Hallway
- WWE News: WWE releases interesting list of "Match Of The Year" candidates
- BBC Sports Personality of the Year best bets: the winner (and losers) identified
- REVEALED: Former trainee cop, 24, was arrested for 'raping EIGHT women over fours years' after he tried to get a job at the department hunting him
- Why the WWE Women's Tag Team Championships should debut at WrestleMania 35
- Shelley Kerr leaves no stone unturned in preparations for Scotland's tilt at Women's World Cup
- Predicting all 30 Participants in the 2019 Women's Royal Rumble Match
- These women are some of America’s greatest artists. Why don’t they get the respect they deserve?
It's not the 'Year of the Woman.' It's the 'Year of the Women' have 338 words, post on edition.cnn.com at November 3, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.