Istanbul (CNN)US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called his Turkish counterpart Saturday to discuss Syria, a conversation that comes at a time of increased tensions between the two NATO allies over the planned US withdrawal from that country. “The Turkish Minister of Foreign Affairs Mevlut Cavusoglu spoke to Pompeo about the latest developments in Syria,” said a brief statement from Turkey’s foreign ministry. Pompeo’s call with Cavusoglu came as the top US diplomat continues a marathon Middle East tour, which has taken him to Cairo, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates. He is expected to meet Sunday with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Riyadh. In a high-profile speech Thursday in Cairo, Pompeo insisted there had been no contradiction in the shifting US strategy in Syria or confusion about it despite the shocked response to the move from allies in the Middle East and beyond. JUST WATCHED Pompeo blasts Obama-era policies in Cario Replay More Videos … MUST WATCH Pompeo blasts Obama-era policies in Cario 02:00 He told Egyptian state television a day later he planned to speak to the Turkish foreign minister to come to a “common understanding” about the execution of President Donald Trump’s decision to withdraw… Read full this story
- Pushing for US Exit, Increasingly 'Fragile' Astana Trio Poised to Map Syria's Future
- U.S. In Syria: Why Is White House Leaving 200 Troops Behind As 'Peacekeeping' Force?
- Turkey, Russia at Odds Over Syria Ahead of Key Summit
- U.S. to leave a ‘peacekeeping group’ of 200 troops in Syria
- U.S. to leave a ‘peacekeeping group’ of 200 troops in Syria, a step back from Trump's order
- Understanding the Dangers of a Turkish ‘Safe-Zone’ in Syria
- US to leave ‘peacekeeping group’ of 200 troops in Syria
- Putin hosts Turkey's leader to discuss Syria, weapons deals
- ISIS' holdouts in Syria slow Kurds' advance
- Erdogan Insists on Syria Intervention, in Face of Growing Opposition
Pompeo discusses US drawdown in Syria with Turkish counterpart have 315 words, post on edition.cnn.com at January 12, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.