Mosul Museum, the second largest museum in Iraq, is hosting its first exhibit since the liberation of the city by Iraqi troops, Asharq Al-Awsat reports. During the Daesh occupation, much of its collection was either purposefully destroyed or trafficked in order to finance the group’s operations. Much of the museum is still closed to the public, mostly because of security reasons, according to Zeid Saadallah, the director. THREAD: Works portrait #Mosul’s drama of conflict, displacement, visual memory & long road to recovery. Group exhibit “Return to Mosul: Artistic Responses to Conflict, Reconciliation & Recovery” opens at the reconstructed Mosul Cultural Museum Royal Hall. Until Feb 3. #Mosul2019 pic.twitter.com/EazNOomfO4 — Angela Boskovitch (@aboskovitch) 29 января 2019 г. Therefore, the museum has turned to modern art, the report says. The exhibit, entitled “Return to Mosul,” features 29 different artists, whose works feature themes of home, return or conflict. Return to Mosul exhibit showcases art in conflict, reconciliationhttps://t.co/3xV4YIjE31 pic.twitter.com/Lu9ePK9yMs — Rudaw English (@RudawEnglish) 29 января 2019 г. During its reign over the city, Daesh released numerous videos showing terrorists destroying priceless pre-Islamic art pieces, including, among other things, two imposing “lamassu” statues, Assyrian winged bulls with human faces. What was not destroyed was sold on the black market to finance the group’s activities. The city is a large and ancient one, fortified and imposing, and prepared against the strokes of adversity.pic.twitter.com/Kj46j8lWXr — Mosul Eye… Read full this story
- Art Exhibit at La Mesa Health Library
- Lord Sugar to open Amstrad museum and wants to buy your old machine
- Pasadena Gallery Hosts Maryland Federation of Art Exhibit
- Beijing art biennale open to embrace a shared future
- Which exhibits in a museum are genuine?
- Museums prepare to reopen amid coronavirus crisis
- Coronavirus gives ‘heightened urgency’ to new Mike Kelley Foundation art grants
- SoCal Museums Offering K–12 Digital Resources During Pandemic
- The last shoe drops: All 21 California museums we were tracking have closed
- The Broad Art Museum Will Offer Free Admission
‘Return to Mosul’: Contemporary Art Exhibition Opens at City’s Museum have 333 words, post on sputniknews.com at January 29, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.