By Steve Holland WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Donald Trump on Tuesday was set to deliver a State of the Union speech challenging Democrats to approve funding for his long-sought border wall, but stopping short of declaring a national emergency over it, at least for now. At 9 p.m. (0200 GMT Wednesday) before a joint session of Congress, Trump will likely stir contention with remarks on immigration policy, after his demand for $5.7 billion in wall funds triggered a historic 35-day partial government shutdown that more than half of Americans blamed him for, according to Reuters/Ipsos polling. Millions of Americans were expected to be watching the address on television, giving Trump his biggest opportunity to date to explain why he believes a barrier is needed on the U.S. southern border with Mexico. The speech was delayed for a week because of the shutdown that ended on Jan. 25. When he takes centre stage in the chamber of the House of Representatives for the big speech, sitting behind him over his shoulder will be his main congressional adversary, Democrat Nancy Pelosi, who became House speaker after her party won control of the chamber in November’s elections. She has shown no sign of… Read full this story
- The Hill's Morning Report — Trump's impeachment jeopardy deepens
- All 103 false statements Donald Trump made in his first 100 days in office
- Europe's stakes in the State of the Union
- Trump And Clinton Clash In Nasty Second Presidential Debate
- The Hill's Morning Report — Mueller testimony gives Trump a boost as Dems ponder next steps
- An Establishment Conservative’s Guide To The Alt-Right
- Key Moments of the 2016 Election
- BDS: how a controversial non-violent movement has transformed the Israeli-Palestinian debate
- FMIA: Sense Has To Prevail in Antonio Brown’s Unsafe Helmet Gripe. Right?
- The news images of the year: Brexit anger, Hong Kong protests and Theresa May’s tearful goodbye feature in Getty’s pick of 2019’s best photographs
Trump to press border wall fight in State of the Union speech have 310 words, post on www.euronews.com at February 5, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.