SHARONVILLE, Ohio (AP) — Jennifer Wright-Berryman looked over a room packed with Southwest Ohio teenagers sharing stories about the tough business of personifying hope in high school. “Have people made fun of you for being on Hope Squad?” Wright-Berryman asked, and a wave of assent rolled arose. She nodded. “You are like firefighters. You are first responders. You are responding to all the fires we have to put out.” More than 450 middle and high school students across Southwest Ohio got excused from class Monday to attend the first Ohio Hope Squad Conference at the Sharonville Convention Center. The students and their advisers have formed the region’s first Hope Squads — groups of peers trained to listen to classmates suffering disappointment, crisis, mental health problems or suicidal thoughts. Hope Squad is a national movement to address the youth-suicide epidemic by countering the notion that teenagers don’t have the maturity to handle heavy emotions. In Ohio, suicide is the second-leading cause of death among teenagers, and adults are wrong to think young people shouldn’t talk about suicide, said Wright-Berryman, a suicide expert in the School of Social Work at the University of Cincinnati. She also is the national research director for… Read full this story
- Air Pollution Tied to Mental Health Issues in Teenagers
- US Army Quietly Lifts Ban on Recruits With Some Mental Health Issues
- Heather Locklear to Undergo Long-Term Care for Substance, Mental Health Issues
- NYC’s first lady urges reporters to tackle mental health issues
- Bourdain Suicide Prompts More Restaurant Workers To Open Up About Mental Health Issues
- Niyo: Ex-UM lineman tackles mental health issues
- It Took 20 Years to Share My Mental Health Struggles. My Silence Could Have Killed Me
- How 1 Documentary Sheds Light on Mental Health in the Black Community
- Roanoke City Jail opens new mental health unit
- Mental Health In Music: Does It Need To Be Censored?
Cincinnati-area teens combat suicide, mental health issues have 302 words, post on apnews.com at March 17, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.