With a more conservative U.S. Supreme Court and Florida Supreme Court, state lawmakers are hoping that their annual push for new abortion restrictions, such as parental consent and fetal heartbeat legislation, will withstand legal challenges if they are approved. Florida’s efforts can’t be viewed in isolation. Mississippi’s governor signed into law one of the most restrictive abortion bans in the country on Thursday. The bill outlaws abortions after the heartbeat of a fetus can be detected, around roughly the sixth week of a pregnancy. The ban is set to take effect on July 1, but abortion-rights advocates have already pledged to file lawsuits to stop it. Actions taken on abortion by legislatures across the United States: ARKANSAS The Republican majority in the Arkansas Legislature has passed several bills restricting abortion this session. Republican Gov. Asa Hutchinson signed into law one proposal banning most abortions 18 weeks into a woman’s pregnancy, and another bill that would ban abortion altogether if the U.S. Supreme Court overturns its Roe v. Wade ruling. Hutchinson has also signed legislation that would require doctors to give written notice to women undergoing drug-induced abortions that the procedure can be “reversed,” a claim that medical groups say isn’t… Read full this story
- Trump remaking federal policy on women’s reproductive health
- 5 Republicans, 1 Democrat seek to succeed Bernskoetter in House
- Storm Alberto: Thousands evacuated after mudslides leave North Carolina dam in danger of 'imminent failure'
- Nation and World briefs for May 31
- From guns to weed: Delaware Legislature to debate a litany of bills in final month
- Everything you need to know about Wednesday's Ohio House speaker vote: Capitol Letter
- THE NOONER for 06-22-18
- NYT ed board: Time for new Dem leadership
- POLITICO Playbook: Michael Cohen speaks
Florida’s not alone: Abortion limits proposed in other states, too have 288 words, post on www.tampabay.com at March 22, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.