Gibraltarians who own “genuine” holiday homes or second properties in Spain “have nothing to fear” from the tax treaty covering Gibraltar and Spain, No.6 Convent Place said yesterday, as it accused the GSD of “scaring” people for party political gain. The Gibraltar Government was reacting after the GSD said the treaty was “intrusive and harmful” to Gibraltar’s interests and “politically inexplicable” and delivered nothing of substance in return. GSD Leader Keith Azopardi said the party had deep concerns about the treaty and its effect on some individuals and companies in Gibraltar who have interests in Spain. But the government hit back and said any suggestion that the treaty favoured Spain over Gibraltar was “party political spin” and betrayed a lack of understanding on how Gibraltar and Spain’s taxation systems worked. In its analysis, the GSD said the treaty amounted to an “encroachment” into Gibraltar’s fiscal sovereignty. To rebut that yesterday, the Gibraltar Government turned first to Sir Joe Bossano, who was categorical in dismissing the claim. “There are no concessions in this tax treaty on sovereignty, jurisdiction or control,” Sir Joe said, adding: “The GSLP would not agree to any concessions.” “I fought the concessions made in the Brussels Agreement… Read full this story
- Uganda: Trouble At Uganda Mission in Algiers
- Millions made from ‘unethical’ Gibrlatar deal with ‘Butcher of Hama’ Rifaat al-Assad ‘should be sent to Syrian refugees’
- South Africa: Tensions Over Land Resurface in Hermanus
- Burundi Votes in Referendum to Keep Nkurunziza in Power
- South Africa: Western Cape's Mounting Rubbish Problem
- Africa: Arts and Culture Hosts Wellness Sport Day to Celebrate Africa Month, 18 May
- Uganda: How Ex-Monitor Staff Was Kidnapped, Cut Into Pieces
- Malawi: Joyce Banda's Return Shakes Up Malawi's Already Shaky Politics
- Ghana: Lessons From Religious Groups for a 'Ghana Beyond Aid'
- Malawi: Party Leadership Cautioned to Desists From Sexual Exploitation
Govt slams GSD’s analysis of tax treaty and insists Gibraltarians have ‘nothing to fear’ have 299 words, post on chronicle.gi at March 19, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.