Shortly after the United Nations voted in 1947 to partition Palestine into two states, one Jewish and one Arab, the Arab world was incensed. Syria’s then president Shukri al-Quwatli threatened to “eradicate Zionism.” The Egyptian king Farouk declared that the Jews would soundly be driven from Palestine. General Secretary of the Arab League Azzam Pasha claimed that “We will sweep them into the sea.” Seventy years later, many Jews continue to endure the reality of maltreatment on the basis of their religion. In 2017, 938 of the 1,564 total anti-religious hate crimes in the United States — 60 percent — targeted Jews, who number fewer than 2 percent of the country’s population. In this context, I am deeply concerned about the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement, which promotes various forms of boycott against Israel, ostensibly on the grounds of defending human rights and denouncing imperialism. This anti-Zionist movement is in some ways the buttoned-up, modern cousin of millennia-old antisemitism. Anti-Zionism, opposing the political movement of Jews to self-determination, may not always manifest in antisemitism, but it often can in the case of the BDS movement. The Jewish people have long sought to achieve freedom and peace in their ancestral home,… Read full this story
- adidas is offering an extra 20% off trainers and clothing in its clearance sale
- China leader Xi Jinping slammed for his ‘wolf warrior’ tactics
- Mums love Morrisons’ new summer clothing line featuring floral frocks, chic T-shirts & prices from just £2
- Amazon Prime Day: Shop For Rs 1000, Get Up To Rs 1000 Back! 20 Utility-Based Discounted Products On Amazon
- Fairfax County Public Schools: Take Advantage Of The Virginia Tax Holiday To Save On School Supplies, Clothing Purchases
- Indian textile exports become noncompetitive as domestic cotton prices increase 6% in July
- Consumer prices climb, but shopkeepers say they 'don't want to push all the burden to customers'
- Katie Price's hottest snaps as she approaches 25 years since Page 3 debut
- BT and EE price hikes start today - how much more will YOU have to pay this year?
- Pro-Trump lawyer calls Mike Pence a "wolf in sheep's clothing" only focused on 2024
Price '20: BDS: A wolf in sheep’s clothing have 333 words, post on www.browndailyherald.com at March 14, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.