LAFAYETTE — If anyone knows the value of perseverance, it’s Gordon Brooks. His 1923 Craftsman-style bungalow wasn’t exactly easy to come by.His first attempt to acquire it came after moving to Lafayette in 1990 from Fayetteville, Arkansas.“I made an offer on the house — the asking price — and was deflated,” Brooks said. “Because this is where I wanted to live.”Undaunted, through the real estate agent, Brooks asked if the home’s owner, Andrew Harwood, would sell at plus 10 percent.“He wouldn’t,” Brooks said. “So I said if you ever sell, can I have first right of refusal?”Brooks, an architect who is the dean of the College of Arts at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, later moved to another house, which happened to belong to Harwood’s wife. He tried again.“Remember me?” he asked. “Harwood told me he’d let me have it someday.”Then one Sunday afternoon, there was a knock at the door. The owner had capitulated.“He decided to let me have it at the appraised value. He still says I stole the house from him,” Brooks recalled with a laugh.That was in 1996.Located in Elmhurst Park and listed on the Lafayette Historic Registry by the Lafayette Preservation Commission, the house has been renovated… Read full this story
- ‘Cheap Old Houses’ Are All Over Instagram. But Are They Good Investments?
- 'Gordon Ramsay knows he doesn't need to be as nasty anymore', says chef Angela Hartnett
- Entire Christchurch home recycled into objects
- Harry Styles, Our Most Likable Pop Star, Keeps Evolving on ‘Harry’s House’
- Grace Kelly's family home was 'inviting' like 'English pub'– took style with her to Monaco
- I transformed my boring home into a colourful paradise and even gave my fridge a whole new look for just £30
- Black buyers are getting squeezed out of the hot housing market
- Man with severe learning difficulties listed for Home Office deportation flight to Jamaica
- ‘Already Elizabeth the Great’: Britain readies to party one last time for beloved monarch
- ‘You Can Let It Go’: Why Harry Styles’ ‘Matilda’ Is His Heartbreak Masterpiece
This Old House: Times change, but style endures at home of Gordon Brooks have 344 words, post on www.theadvocate.com at March 28, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.