By Afsheen A. ShamsiEighteen years ago, my son was diagnosed with autism at the age of 2. Even today, I remember the day very vividly that we found out as at the time I felt that my world was crashing down all around me.Irteza was a very sweet tempered baby and at around 16 months when I noticed that he was not talking, I reached out to his pediatrician. By Irteza’s second birthday, a developmental pediatrician had diagnosed him with autism, and we had already seen a speech pathologist and an evaluator from the state and initiated a therapy program. The pediatrician told us that we were the most knowledgeable parents she had ever met as by that time we had read every book on autism we could find. All the research at the time indicated that early intervention before the age of 5 could lead to children with autism being mainstreamed with their neurotypical peers at schools. And so determined to ensure that Irteza would be one of these children, I established a 40+ hour per week therapy program that included Applied Behavior Analysis therapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy, social skills and Music Together classes. These are the 10… Read full this story
- World Diabetes Day 2018! Diabetes Concern Every Family!
- Why My Family Refuses to Celebrate Autism Awareness Day
- Chicago Woman Promotes Dangerous Miracle Cure for Autism
- The desi hypocrisy surrounding autism
- Tragic lorry migrant, 26, 'was deported from UK just DAYS before dying in trailer', say Vietnamese family who remortgaged home to fund £30,000 return trip
- Children From Popular Docu-Series May Be Victims of Mother’s Munchausen-By-Proxy
- Pennsylvania Man Receives Massive Sentence in Child Pornography and Sex Abuse Case
- Wednesday’s Child: 4-Year-Old Aaliyah
- Michigan boy with autism is fighting to keep his emotional support ducks
- Now, There's A Stranger Who Could Use Some Of My Child-Rearing Advice
It takes a village to raise a child with autism. On Autism Awareness Day, a mother thanks her village. have 297 words, post on www.nj.com at April 2, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.