Washington, DC (CNN Business)Tesla isn’t backing away from its radical plans for self-driving cars. CEO Elon Musk and other Tesla executives explained to investors Monday their plans to have more than a million full self-driving Teslas on roads next year. The optimistic rhetoric contrasts with the rest of the autonomous-vehicle industry, which is increasingly cautioning how long and hard a road it will be to get such cars on streets en masse. Tesla has already forged ahead with its Autopilot software, which has been deployed in some vehicles since 2015 and handles minor driving tasks. Tesla views Autopilot as an incremental step toward full self-driving vehicles. The software can be updated with an over-the-air update. Elon Musk says Tesla will have robo-taxis operating next year Tesla also stands out for its approach to building a safe self-driving car. The company won’t rely on high-definition maps to guide its vehicles, there will be no geofenced boundaries that restrict where the cars can drive and it’s not using a sensor nearly everyone else views as essential. The sensor, called LIDAR, is prized for its ability to tell a vehicle exactly how far away nearby objects are, such as a pedestrian, car or… Read full this story
- Apple Lays Off Over 200 Employees Working on Secretive Self-Driving Car Project
- How companies are making self-driving cars more friendly—and less scary
- Waymo, Lyft, and all the self-driving car companies at CES 2018
- Self-Driving Cars Use Crazy Amounts of Power, and It's Becoming a Problem
- What Is Lidar, Why Do Self-Driving Cars Need It, and Can It See Nerf Bullets?
- America's Hottest Self-Driving Car Startup Just Joined Forces with VW and Hyundai
- Where do you stand on self-driving cars?
- Apple reportedly acquires self-driving car startup Drive.ai
- Former Uber CEO Travis Kalanick keeps his cool during self-driving car courtroom drama
- Waymo's self-driving cars won't make you take over in an emergency
Tesla doubles down on its radical approach to self-driving cars have 311 words, post on edition.cnn.com at April 23, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.