As confirmed measles cases around the country hit the highest number since 2000 — including more than a dozen confirmed cases in Texas — state lawmakers are considering whether parents should have access to more information about how many students in local schools aren’t vaccinated. For well over a decade, Texas has sent an annual survey to schools about how many kindergarten and seventh grade students filed for exemptions from vaccines. But the data, while publicly available, is often incomplete and lacking some key details. While private schools and charter schools report exemption rates by school, the public school districts that most Texas children attend only publicly report a rate for the entire district. Senate Bill 329 from state Sen. Kel Seliger would allow parents to access more detailed information for each school. It would include information such as the exemption rates broken down by vaccine type, the number of students who have “conscientious exemptions” — vaccine exemptions for personal or religious beliefs — and the number of students who have medical exemptions signed by doctors. The Amarillo Republican said the bill isn’t meant to impact the decisions of individual families and whether they should vaccinate their children. “It has… Read full this story
- 'It's broken me into a million pieces': six months on from Samoa's deadly measles outbreak
- Daniel Hoffman: China's assault on Texas – this project threatens US national security
- With childrens' vaccinations down amid coronavirus, doctors get creative
- Low rates of vaccination may herald return of eradicated diseases
- DR Congo reports fresh Ebola outbreak
- Transcript: Vice President Mike Pence on "Face the Nation," June 28, 2020
- Coronavirus: What's behind alarming new US outbreaks?
- Trump officials seek to reassure public about safety of a potential coronavirus vaccine
- From AIDS to Covid-19: Trump's decades of spreading dangerous misinformation about disease outbreaks
- How Chinese firm CanSino jumped to the front of the coronavirus vaccine race
Texas legislators call for more vaccine transparency amid national measles outbreaks have 301 words, post on www.texastribune.org at April 25, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.