LANGEOOG, Germany (AP) — Hungry tourists stream into the glass-fronted balcony of Michael Recktenwald’s restaurant on the German island of Langeoog, with its splendid view of the North Sea and the blue skies above. The 53-year-old has lived on Langeoog for most of his life, and his wife’s family has been there for generations, but Recktenwald fears their children may not be able to stay if the world keeps on warming. Concerns about climate change have prompted mass proteststhis week’s elections Recktenwald pointed to the damaged levees protecting the island, which is part of the Frisian Archipelago off the coasts of Germany, the Netherlands and Denmark. Islands like Langeoog are among the regions most vulnerable to the rising sea levels predicted to result from climate change. “The sea level has already risen and storm surges are getting more violent,” he told The Associated Press. “The chain of dunes is being attacked more strongly, endangering our freshwater supply.” A recent opinion pollfeatures prominently “In many countries, the climate issue has become increasingly one of the top issues that voters are concerned about when they talk about European issues,” said Derek Beach, a political scientist at the University of Aarhus, Denmark. “In… Read full this story
- Within the EU, Britain can take the lead on tackling climate change
- Australia amid climate change is making migrants adapt again
- Portuguese children sue 33 countries over climate change at European court
- More people heading to court to spur action on climate change, study finds
- Vanessa Nakate: 'Many people are not yet aware of the dangers of climate change'
- Climate change bigger economic risk than pandemic, ECB's Schnabel says
- To my son, born in the time of coronavirus and climate change
- Climate change is disrupting flower pollination, research shows
- Climate change: Heatwave made 'at least' five times more likely by warming
- Discrimination, climate change and mental health: The big issues worrying young NZ leaders
Climate change is hot topic in the European Parliament vote have 310 words, post on apnews.com at May 24, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.